VK-701 LEAP5™ catalyst features
The major leap in activity for VK-701 LEAP5™ is primarily due to high fraction of vanadium in the active oxidation state V5+. At operating conditions several vanadium species are present; but only oxidation state V5+ is active in the catalytic cycle. The high V5+ level in VK-701 LEAP5™ has been brought about through physical as well as chemical changes compared to Topsøe’s existing catalysts.
- VK-701 LEAP5™ combines increased vanadium content with a composition of the active phase tailored for high concentrations of SO3 i.e. converted strong gas.
- A revolutionary change in the intrinsic morphology and surface properties of the catalytic support has been obtained through introduction of a new and unique production technology.
VK-701 LEAP5™ benefits
The increased content of vanadium in oxidation state V5+ results in a superior activity for VK-701 LEAP5™ compared to VK48 and VK59 throughout the entire temperature range. VK-701 LEAP5™ is offered in Topsøe’s standard 12 mm Daisy shape to secure low pressure drop.
The high activity offered by VK-701 LEAP5™ presents new conversion opportunities for any single- and double-absorption plants:
Single absorption plants
- reduce SO2 emissions by up to 40% by loading VK-701 LEAP5™ in the final pass
Double absorption plants
- cut SO2 emissions up to 40% in 3+1 plants operating with VK69 by replacing the third pass with VK-701 LEAP5™
- achieve as low as 50 ppm SO2 emission from existing 3+1 plants
- design new plants with as little as 20-50 ppm SO2 emission