As demands on reliability, capacity and energy efficiency increase, higher performance is required from each and every piece of equipment in your plant. In ammonia production, this includes the air-fired secondary reformer, which is already subjected to severe operating conditions in the plant.
To withstand the severity of the conditions and ensure high reliability, each component of the secondary reformer must be optimized. The burner is a particularly important element and has a large impact on performance, safety and lifetime.
Topsoe’s proprietary ring-type secondary reformer burner is the best in class and features a distribution plate and patented nozzles. The key benefits of Topsoe’s burner include:
- Excellent mixing between air and process gas with a uniform field of temperature, velocities and composition at the catalyst bed interface
- Low maintenance requirements and fast exchange
- Short flame length, resulting in reduced risk of catalyst damage due to flame impingement
- Low pressure drop in both air and process gas streams
- High operational flexibility, leading to better burner performance over a wide range of plant loads
- Low temperatures at burner surfaces exposed to the flame, resulting in long lifetime
- Low refractory temperatures, ensuring safe operation
These benefits translate directly to better conversion and lower pressure drops in the secondary reformer, as well as longer equipment lifetimes. The impact is a significant decrease in a producer’s annual operating and maintenance costs, longer runtimes, and lower risk of unscheduled shutdowns.
The secondary reformer burner is only one of many Topsoe offerings. Other offerings include secondary reformer catalysts, refractory lining, bottom support, and target tiles. Combinations of our products and services help producers achieve maximum benefit, and we work together with our customers to put together the optimal solution for their needs.