We offer an industrial PhD position to an outstanding candidate who wants to explore new methods for converting CO2 into chemicals using catalysis. It is a 3-year position, from August 2020 to July 2023, during which you will be enrolled at the PhD School at Aarhus University to obtaining the degree Philosophiae Doctor (PhD). The position is part of the CO2 PERATE Innovative Training Network funded by European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation program.
The CO2PERATE consortium has a simple but essential vision: Training of European researchers in the synthesis of indispensable molecules from sustainable carbon sources and with sustainable catalysts. This will involve development of novel and industrially relevant methods for employing CO2 as a carbon synthon, alongside other renewable biomass, catalyzed by non-precious metals. The main focus is on C-C bond formation with CO2, which is an important but insufficiently developed area. (http://co2perate.eu/)
You will work at our headquarters in Lyngby in Denmark, where you will join a small and agile industrial team of zeolite and catalysis experts. You will carry out an experimental PhD-project of CO2 activation and reaction, using zeolite catalysts. If you want to know more about the project and goals, please follow the link: http://co2perate.eu/projects/p4/
Our ideal candidate:
- You have experience working with catalysis and experimental chemistry
- You have a curiosity-driven mindset
- You are systematic and good at planning
- You are experienced in documenting and presenting your work
- You want to develop your skills as a researcher through a PhD program, in close collaboration with industrial researchers, and apply your knowledge to support sustainable development in the EU
- The position involves two secondments, each of 3 months duration, at Aarhus University and Oslo University, so you must be willing to travel a lot
- To be considered for this position you must satisfy the following criteria:
- A master’s degree in chemistry, chemical engineering, or the equivalent - you cannot possess a PhD degree
- Preferably you have worked in research project in experimental catalysis
- At the time of recruitment, you are within the first four years of a research career
- Have excellent track record from previous studies, along with experience in catalysis, experimental chemistry and organic/inorganic chemistry
- Are fluent in the English language - spoken and written/proficiency level, please see section on Documentation of Language Skills.
In accordance with the Marie Skłodowska-Curie actions mobility requirements, candidates are only eligible for this position if they have spent less than 12 months of their main activity (work/study) during the last three years in Denmark.
The selected candidate will also later have to make an application for the graduate program (GSST) at the Faculty of Natural Sciences, Aarhus University (see: https://phd.scitech.au.dk/programmes/nanoscience/).
Documentation of language skills:
The English language requirement at GSST is comparable to an “English B level” in the Danish upper secondary school (“gymnasium”) and are documented by one of the following tests:
- TOEFL test, minimum score: 560 (paper-based test) or 83 (internet-based test)
- IELTS (academic) test, minimum average score: 6.5 points
- Cambridge English Language Assessment:
- Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency (CPE)
- Cambridge English: Certificate of Advanced English with grade A,B or C (CAE)
- Cambridge English: First Certificate with grade A (FCE)
The following applicants are exempted from documenting their English qualifications/taking a test:
- Applicants with citizenship from the following countries: Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, the United States, or one of the Nordic countries (Finland, Iceland, Norway or Sweden).
- Applicants with a bachelor’s or master’s program completed in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, the United Kingdom, or the United States.
Please contact Esben Taarning at esta [at] topsoe.com if you want to know more about the position.
If you would like to be part of a team of skilled and dynamic colleagues in an informal organization, please submit your application and resume in English and enclose a copy of your exam certificates and any references.
April 30, 2020
Haldor Topsoe is the world leader in high-performance catalysts and proprietary technologies for the chemical and refining industries. Based on cutting-edge research and development, we help our customers achieve optimal performance in all phases from design to daily operations – in the most responsible way. Topsoe is headquartered in Denmark and serves customers across the globe. In 2019, our revenue was approximately USD 890 million, and we employ more than 2,300 employees. www.topsoe.com