Topsoe signs joint declaration: Ramping up manufacturing of electrolyzers to boost renewable hydrogen production in the EU
- The European Commission, Hydrogen Europe and 20 European companies including Topsoe signed a declaration on increasing electrolyzer manufacturing capacity in the EU.
- The declaration backs EU´s new target to double the previous EU target to 10 million tons of annual domestic production of renewable hydrogen plus an additional 10 million tons of annual hydrogen imports.
Roeland Baan, CEO of Topsoe (right), together with Thierry Breton, Commissioner for the Internal Market, when signing the joint declaration.
Roeland Baan, CEO at Topsoe, says:
“Power-to-X and energy independence will not happen in the EU unless we ramp up the manufacturing of electrolyzer in the EU as well. Therefore, I am extremely happy to see commitment from both the EU and industry to do exactly that.”
In Brussels, the industry committed to have 10 times as much combined annual electrolyzer manufacturing capacity in the EU by 2025 as is the case today – in return the EU committed to ensure a supporting regulatory framework and EU funds.
Roeland Baan elaborates on the needed capacity:
”If the EU wants to be independent of Russian gas – we need to produce 10 million tons of renewable hydrogen in the EU every year. Manufacturing af electrolyzers must therefore be scaled up significantly. This represent both an unprecedented challenge and a significant opportunity for Topsoe.”
The joint declaration features three pillars:
- Ensuring a supportive regulatory framework through adequate permitting rules and committing to stand up for the ambitious targets included in the revision of the Renewable Energy Directive and the Alternative Fuels Infrastructure Regulation Proposal.
- Facilitating adequate access to finance by revamping the Innovation Fund to be inclusive of innovative zero and low-carbon equipment manufacturing such as electrolyzers. In addition, accessing to state aid to derisk investments, and put in place Carbon Contracts for Difference to further incentivize large-scale deployment of clean hydrogen technologies.
- Integrating supply chains by way of expanding Research and Development and ensuring the availability of required components and materials in a timely and affordable manner.
Under the Joint Declaration, Europe’s leading electrolyzer manufacturers agreed to increase their manufacturing capacity to reach 17.5 GW by 2025 and to further increase capacity by 2030 in line with projected demand for renewable hydrogen.
About the European Electrolyzer Summit
The joint declaration was signed at the European Electrolyzer Summit on 5 May in Brussels. The event was co-organized by the Hydrogen Council and the European Commission and took place under the auspices of the European Clean Hydrogen Alliance. Present was Thierry Breton, Commissioner for the Internal Market, Jorgo Chatzimarkakis CEO of Hydrogen Europe, and 20 CEOs and executives representing companies including Topsoe, Advent, Bosch, Convion, Cummins, De Nora, Elogen, Enapter, Genvia, Green Hydrogen Systems, H2B2, Helbio, HyStar, John Cockerill, McPhy, Nel Hydrogen, Siemens Energy, SOLIDpower, Sunfire, and Thyssenkrupp nucera.
For more information, please contact:
Ulrik Frøhlke, Media Relations Manager
Phone: +45 27 77 99 68
Therese Bording Hermann, Public Affairs Director
Phone: +45 27773242
Founded in 1940, Topsoe is a global leader in developing solutions for a decarbonized world, supplying technology, catalysts, and services for worldwide energy transition.
Our mission is to combat climate change by helping our partners and customers achieve their decarbonization and emission-reduction targets, including those in challenging sectors: aviation, shipping, and production of crucial raw materials. From low-carbon or zero-carbon chemicals, to renewable fuels and plastic upcycling, we are uniquely positioned to aid humanity in realizing a sustainable future.
Topsoe is headquartered in Denmark, with 2,100 employees serving customers all around the globe. To learn more, visit www.topsoe.com