Topsoe technology chosen for industrial scale low carbon ammonia project in Louisiana, USA
- Topsoe has been chosen by Ascension Clean Energy (ACE), a joint venture project led by Clean Hydrogen Works (CHW) for its planned world-scale low carbon ammonia plant
- The projected $7.5 billion project is expected to produce 7.2 million metric tons annually of low carbon ammonia in Louisiana, USA
- ACE will utilize Topsoe’s SynCORTM autothermal reforming (ATR) technology, and the project expects to achieve up to 98 percent carbon capture performance corresponding to no less than 12 million tons – comparable to the emissions from 50,000 flights from New York to Paris.
Topsoe has been chosen as technology provider to Ascension Clean Energy (ACE), an industrial scale low carbon hydrogen-ammonia joint venture project by Clean Hydrogen Works (CHW), Denbury Carbon Solutions and Hafnia.
To deliver the 7.2 million metric tons of clean ammonia annually ACE will use Topsoe’s integrated hydrogen and ammonia solutions, including state-of-the-art SynCOR™ autothermal reforming (ATR) technology. This industry-leading technology is targeting a reduction of up to 98 percent of all CO2, which is contracted to be permanently sequestered by Denbury Carbon Solutions.
Peter Vang Christensen, Senior Vice President Technology, Topsoe, said:
“Low carbon solutions are vital if we are to succeed with the energy transition, and this project will have a positive impact in leading the way for large scale decarbonization of our global energy infrastructure. We are delighted to have been selected to support this project that will showcase not only Topsoe’s world leading technology, but also ACE’s role in the transition to decarbonized fuels.”
Murray “Vee” Godley III, ACE Senior Vice President & Chief Development Officer, said: “We are excited to work with Topsoe to develop the ACE project, using innovation to meet global demand for clean and affordable energy. As a world leader in hydrogen and ammonia technology, Topsoe is an ideal partner in this exciting endeavor to revolutionize how the world uses energy.”
On the West Bank of the Mississippi River in Louisiana’s Ascension Parish, ACE will be sited on a prime 1,700-acre location near existing infrastructure, with direct access to the Mississippi River. The project is expected to create 350 permanent, full-time jobs.
A final investment decision regarding ACE is expected in 2024.
SynCORTM is Topsoe’s market leading autothermal reforming technology that delivers benefits to customers in the form of lower operating costs due to significantly reduced steam-to-carbon ratios, significantly smaller overall area footprint, and lower steam throughput significantly reducing the size of equipment and piping needed. The combination of SynCORTM and Topsoe’s Ammonia process delivers best in class carbon intensity performance for the energy transition.
# # #
Founded in 1940, Topsoe is a leading global developer and supplier of decarbonization technology, catalysts, and services for the energy transition.
Our mission is to combat climate change by helping our partners and customers achieve their decarbonization and emission-reduction targets, including those in hard-to-abate sectors such as aviation, shipping, and the production of raw materials. From carbon reduction chemicals to renewable fuels and plastic upcycling, we are uniquely positioned to aid humanity in realizing a sustainable future.
Topsoe is headquartered in Denmark, with over 2,100 employees serving customers all around the globe. To learn more, visit www.topsoe.com
About Ascension Clean Energy (ACE)
ACE is a world-scale clean hydrogen-ammonia joint venture project by Clean Hydrogen Works (CHW), Denbury Carbon Solutions and Hafnia.
- CHW is a sustainability-focused, commercially oriented project developer with extensive experience in developing integrated energy value chains. CHW is led by an experienced team of project executives from leading global energy companies.
- Denbury Carbon Solutions, a subsidiary of Denbury, Inc., is a leader in Carbon Capture, Use and Storage (CCUS) and owns the largest network of CO2 pipeline in the U.S.
- Hafnia is a leading global tanker owner and operator, transporting energy products and chemicals around the world.
Developing integrated clean hydrogen-ammonia value chains optimized for low-cost and low carbon, ACE will help meet the world’s growing energy needs with a secure, affordable, and sustainable energy supply at scale. Clean hydrogen and ammonia as a hydrogen carrier will play critical roles in the global energy transition by complementing renewables to decarbonize critical sectors including marine, power, industrial, and heavy transport. For additional information, visit cleanhydrogenworks.com.
For more information, please contact:
Ulrik Frøhlke, Media Relations Manager
Phone: +45 27 77 99 68