Topsoe’s methanol synthesis process is the simplest, and the most effective solution available on the market. Designed to synthesize methanol at the lowest possible cost and with the lowest possible impact on the environment, the process relies on our ultra-efficient tubular boiling water reactor (BWR) design.
How it works
With our BWR design, the catalyst is loaded into tubes, which are cooled from the shell side by boiling water. The water efficiently removes the heat in an almost isothermal path and at conditions close to the maximum rate of reaction. This design ensures high conversion per reactor pass, higher catalyst space velocity and a lower recycle ratio – all in a small footprint package that is designed for scalability.
The MK-151 FENCE™ methanol synthesis catalyst delivers industry leading performance and stability, resulting in production gains over the catalyst lifetime that will enable you to far exceed your initial target. MK-151 FENCE™ is designed to be very selective. Combined with the excellent temperature control achieved by our BWR, this enables you limit the formation of undesirable by-products to a minimum level. Reducing the byproduct formation not only improve your feedstock utilization but it also reduces your energy consumption in the downstream distillation section.
- Very cost-effective
- High energy-efficiency
- High plant availability
- Small footprint
- Ease of operation
For the experience factor
Topsoe’s methanol synthesis process comes with years of industrial experiences and tailor-made solutions to meet your specific needs. The synergy of our knowledge within process engineering, high performing catalyst, and industry leading technical services bring you the most reliable plant design in market.
Our methanol synthesis process comes with years of proven experience and tailor-made solutions to meet our customer’s needs. Focusing on continuous improvement based on customer feedback and insights, gives us the possibility to offer the most reliable solution that is cost effective and energy efficient.
Topsoe’s methanol synthesis comes with decades of industrial experience. Combining in-house knowledge of process and catalyst as well as our industry-leading technical services enable Topsoe to provide markets most reliable plant design.
The performance catalysts we supply for this application are listed below.
- CatalystsGuard catalyst used for protecting methanol synthesis catalyst from impurities such as iron, sulfur and chlorine.
- CatalystsWell-proven methanol synthesis catalyst suitable for all types of methanol reactors.
- CatalystsHigh activity methanol synthesis catalyst suitable for all types of methanol reactors.
The proprietary equipment we supply for this application are listed below.
- EquipmentIncrease your profitability with Topsoe’s support grid to obtain a lower pressure drop in your adiabatic reactors such as the high, medium, low-temperature shift or the methanator. Achieve a pressure drop which is up to 50% lower. Worldwide, more than 20 reactors already have this technology...
- EquipmentThe boiling water reactor is also often abbreviated as BWR. It is typically used for methanol synthesis, but it can also be used for other exothermic reactions, such as methanation or water-gas shift. A boiling water reactor contains a tube bundle which typically consists of several thousands of...
- EquipmentTopsoe’s Collect-Mix-Distribute system ensures efficient addition of quench between adiabatic catalytic beds. The CMD system Collects the effluent gas from the upstream catalyst bed, Mixes it with the quench gas, and then Distributes the mixed gas across the downstream catalyst bed. The improved...
- ServicesAll plants – even those with lots of turnaround experience – can run into trouble during loading. When a problem occurs, it can lead to longer turnarounds and, in the worst case, result in an underperforming catalyst. That makes proper loading an important step in profitable plant operation. Topsoe...
- ServicesOptimal interaction between catalyst and technology is crucial if your plant is to perform at its best. Topsoe’s General Technical Service employs the full weight of our knowledge and experience to advise, inform and guide you towards improvement. All General Technical Service is provided as in-...
- ServicesA Topsoe Internal Visual Inspection is your first line of defense against faults in valves, piping, boilers, heat exchangers and adiabatic catalytic reactors, or even larger systems such as steam reformers. As a key component in your preventative maintenance program, an Internal Visual Inspection...
- ServicesRefineries and chemical plants are complex and vulnerable to changes over time. These changes can degrade performance and impact negatively on day-to-day operations and, ultimately, your bottom line. Whether you choose a catalyst performance evaluation or full-scale process and catalyst...
- ServicesAs a general rule, the more you know about a plant or unit’s operating conditions, the better you’ll be able to keep performance, cost-efficiency and profits high. Our Sampling & Analysis service is your direct route to the detailed insight it takes to make better decisions. During start-ups...
- ServicesStarting up your plant or unit is a complicated and time-consuming procedure that involves monitoring numerous parameters and ensuring the right start-up sequencing. If not performed correctly, it can result in delays or even damage to your catalysts, unit or plant. Our Start-up & Reduction/...
- ServicesCatalysts and processes normally operate smoothly, yet suboptimal performance can occur from time to time. Since most issues have multiple root causes – usually originating in external factors – the process of solving an issue can be difficult and complex. Our Troubleshooting service draws on the...
The training services we supply for this application are listed below.
- TrainingLearn to maximize performance from day one.
- TrainingUnderstanding how critical equipment is affected by aggressive components and operational failures can help you prevent damage and increase the lifetime of your plant.
- TrainingLearn the basics of effective plant operation
- TrainingLearn the basics of plant design, processes and catalyst theory
- TrainingLearn to get more value out of your plant
- TrainingLearn to start up your plant more safely and efficiently
- TrainingLearn to improve your production with proper laboratory procedures
We offer a full range of process solutions, ranging from technology process licensing to revamps of existing units.
- Process licensingLow cost technology for small to medium capacity This technology uses only steam reforming as synthesis gas generator. Operating cost is higher than for than for technologies involving Oxygen reforming but capital cost is low. The optimal capacity range is from 500 up to 2500 MTPD. This can be...
- Process licensingProven large scale process for new built This is the most cost efficient industrially proven methanol technology available on the market. The optimal single train capacity is 500 MTPD up to 10.000 MTPD. The highly efficient, fully automated SynCOR™ syngas generator based on oxygen reforming at...
- Process licensingState-of-the-art technology This is the most commonly used methanol technology today. It uses a combination of tubular steam reforming and oxygen reforming as synthesis gas generator to produce a stoichiometric methanol synthesis gas. The advanced Haldor Topsoe tubular reforming technology provides...