SNOX™ technology for carbon black
Reduce your cost for air quality control
With our SNOX™ technology, carbon black producers can significantly reduce the cost of staying compliant without generating waste. They also get a solution optimized for a cost-effective lifecycle, which protects their profit.
Outperforming conventional Flue Gas Desulfurization (FGD)
Conventional flue gas desulfurization (FGD) methods are plagued by high operating costs, massive limestone consumption, and production of contaminated gypsum that must be deposited. This makes conventional FGD’s increasingly expensive to operate, particularly as feedstock sulfur content increases.
SNOX™ takes on these challenges by removing SOx and NOx, and the removed sulfur from exhaust gases is made available as commercial-grade sulfuric acid instead of contaminated gypsum or ocean discharge. SNOX™ also does not consume water or produce waste, eliminating the need for expensive handling, treatment, disposal processes, and logistics.
For the carbon black industry, SNOX™ goes one step further by eliminating any related dust nuisance, placing stack emissions well below the allowable levels. The heat produced in the SNOX™ process’ exothermal reactions – and by cooling clean gas to 100°C (212°F) – is recovered and used as steam for power generation in a steam turbine or other customer needs.
The SNOX™ process
How it works
The SNOX™ process includes the following steps:
- Heating of exhaust as to approximately 400°C (752° F) in a support heater (if needed)
- Catalytic reduction of NOx by NH3
- Catalytic oxidation of SO2 to SO3 and oxidation of remaining carbon black dust, in the SO2 converter
- Cooling of the SO3 gas making the SO3 react with water vapor
- Further cooling of the gas to about 100°C (212°F) in the WSA condenser to produce liquid, commercial-grade sulfuric acid