SUMMARY OF DELEGATED ACTS ATTACHED TO RED II ON THE PRODUCTION OF RFNBOs
- Delegated act on the Production of Renewable Transport Fuels: it provides a robust methodology for calculating the carbon intensity of the electricity used to produce RFNBOs. This electricity use is divided into three scenarios:
- Electrolyzers running directly on RES
- Those who have a Power Purchasing Agreement (PPA)
- Those that run on a grid with a RES penetration of at least 90%
The latest Commission proposal had stringent additionality requirements for renewable hydrogen producers.
- Delegated Act on the method for assessing GHG emission savings for certain fuels: it prescribes how to assess emission reductions from recycled carbon fuels and renewable fuels of non-biological origin. The latest proposal put forward by the Commission introduces a limit on the eligibility of industrial CO250 for the production of synthetic fuels until 2035. After that date, only CO2 captured from the air or from biogenic and geological sources can be used to produce synthetic fuels.