Topsoe to build world’s largest electrolyzer manufacturing facility to accelerate Power-to-X capacity
- Topsoe will build the world’s most advanced industrial scale electrolyzer manufacturing plant to meet society’s need for Power-to-X solutions.
- Topsoe’s ambition is to speed up the green energy transition with solutions that decarbonize hard to abate industries.
- The plant will be built in Herning, Denmark. Construction work will start in second half of 2022 with expected start of operations in 2024.
- When in operation, it will be world’s largest electrolyzer manufacturing plant with 500 megawatt capacity per year and with an option to expand to 5 gigawatt.
Roeland Baan, CEO at Topsoe. Photo: Topsoe.
Topsoe, the global leader in decarbonization technologies, today announces its intention to construct world’s largest and most advanced industrial scale electrolyzer manufacturing plant. Topsoe’s ambition is to rapidly accelerate the adoption of green solutions in particular within Power-to-X. In this field, the company has the leading technology to decarbonize hard-to-abate sectors such as transport, chemicals, steel, and cement.
The new electrolyzermanufacturing plant, which will be constructed in Herning, Denmark, will be operational by 2024 and have an annual capacity of 500 MW with scalability up to 5 GW, making it one of the first industrial scale plants of its kind. Construction is scheduled to begin in the second half of this year, subject to Board and other regulatory approvals.
Roeland Baan, CEO at Topsoe, says:
”We are willing and able to support society’s green ambitions and the need to accelerate the energy transition, and we have the technology to do it. With our new electrolyzer manufacturing plant, we lead the way in speeding up commercial-size Power-to-X solutions, and we do it with our highly innovative technology that outmatches technologies currently in the market.”
Topsoe is already seeing considerable interest in our Power-to-X solutions and is in advanced discussion with a number of potential partners over future offtake agreements and commitments to reserve capacity from the electrolyzer plant.
Developing a strong Power-to-X industry in Europe will also enforce EU’s ambitions of being independent of energy imports from other regions. The milestone in ensuring large-scale availability of electrolyzers for Power-to-X solutions takes place at the same time as Ursula von der Leyen, President of the European Commission, and state leaders from Denmark, Germany, The Netherlands, and Belgium signed an agreement, in which the parties agree to invest in a ten-fold capacity increase of offshore wind by 2050. The political agreement ensures significant availability of the renewable power needed to supply future Power-to-X facilities in the EU.
Roeland Baan says:
“The agreement between the EU Commission and the four North Sea countries is an important step in the transition to renewable energy. At Topsoe, we are also ready to invest. Our mission as a company is to reduce society’s emissions in 2022 by 12 million tonnes of CO2. By introducing solutions to decarbonize transportation and other hard to abate-sectors, we secure significant CO2 emissions not only in 2022 but for years to come, while also moving closer to energy independence.”
Dorte West, Mayor of Herning Municipality, says:
“There has been a great interest – also internationally – to attract Topsoe’s coming manufacturing plant. The fact that a renowned company like Topsoe chooses Herning makes me happy and proud, and it tells me, that our entrepreneurial spirit and drive is broadly recognized. Sustainability is highly prioritized by the City Council and fits perfectly together with Topsoe’s Power-to-X plans that points to the future. And surely, it’s great in terms of new jobs in the municipality of Herning.
Sketch of the electrolyzer plant. Illustration: Topsoe.
About the manufacturing plant
- Topsoe and Herning Municipality has signed a land agreement.
- Capacity: The plant will have a capacity of 500 megawatt electrolyzers per year and with an option to expand to 5 gigawatt.
- The plant will produce SOEC electrolyzers – Solid Oxide Electrolyzer Cells – which have a higher energy efficiency that competing technologies.
- Size: The land covers an area of 72,000 m2. The production plant will cover an area of more than 200x100 meters – or 23,000 m2.
- Jobs: When fully operational, 170 people will work on the site.
Founded in 1940, Topsoe is a global leader in developing solutions for a decarbonized world, supplying technology, catalysts, and services for worldwide energy transition.
Our mission is to combat climate change by helping our partners and customers achieve their decarbonization and emission-reduction targets, including those in challenging sectors: aviation, shipping, and production of crucial raw materials. From low-carbon or zero-carbon chemicals, to renewable fuels and plastic upcycling, we are uniquely positioned to aid humanity in realizing a sustainable future.
Topsoe is headquartered in Denmark, with 2,100 employees serving customers all around the globe. To learn more, visit www.topsoe.com
For more information, please contact:
Ulrik Frøhlke, Media Relations Manager
Phone: +45 27 77 99 68
Share your thoughts
Comment on this post