Topsoe’s 2040 net-zero target approved by Science Based Targets initiative
- Topsoe’s net-zero target has been approved by the Science Based Targets initiative (SBTi), placing the company among a select group of companies with approved 2040 net-zero target. SBTi also approved Topsoe’s near-term 2030 target.
- Long-term commitment: Topsoe commits to reach net-zero across the value chain by 2040 from a 2020 base year.
Topsoe, a global leader in carbon emission reduction technologies, announces that it’s 2040 net-zero target has been approved by the Science Based Targets initiative, an organization that enables organizations and companies to set science-based greenhouse gas emission (GHG) reduction targets. The approval is a strong testament to Topsoe’s leading climate commitment.
Roeland Baan, CEO of Topsoe, said:
“With this approval by the SBTi, we’ve reached another milestone in our decarbonization journey. We’re committed to taking a leading role in the energy transition and cutting emissions from our operations and our full value chain is an integrated part of this commitment. We want to reach net-zero a decade ahead of the climate targets set in the Paris Agreement. Through our climate technology solutions, we are uniquely placed to help customers decarbonize, and in turn, it is incumbent upon Topsoe to set a leading example.”
Amy Chiang, Chief Sustainability and Public Affairs Officer said:
“Topsoe’s climate commitment is significant and ambitious and represents a long-term pledge to our own sustainability journey. It demonstrates our ambitions to raise the bar on climate action and our willingness to make significant strides throughout our value chain to deliver on this commitment. I’m proud to see Topsoe lead the sector in the pursuit of a more sustainable future.”
In December 2022, Topsoe received a Platinum rating for sustainability by EcoVadis Ratings, the leading evidence-based assessment and rating provider for sustainability across global industries. These combined announcements recognize Topsoe’s rapid transformation and delivery on its ambitious sustainability goals.
Read more about Topsoe’s sustainability commitments at www.topsoe.com/sustainability-now
Topsoe’s net-zero targets approved by SBTi
- Overall Net-Zero Target: Topsoe commits to reach net-zero across the value chain by 2040 from a 2020 base year.
- Near-Term Targets: Topsoe commits to reduce absolute scope 1 and 2 GHG emissions by 95% by 2030 from a 2020 base year.* Topsoe also commits to increase annual sourcing of renewable electricity from 0% in 2020 to 100% by 2030. Topsoe further commits that 74% of its suppliers by emissions covering purchased goods and services, fuel and energy related activities, and upstream transportation and distribution, must have science-based targets by 2027.
- Long-Term Targets: Topsoe commits to maintain 95% absolute reduction of scope 1 and 2 GHG emissions from 2030 through to 2040, from a 2020 base year.* Topsoe also commits to reduce absolute scope 3 GHG emissions by 90% by 2040 from a 2020 base year.
*The target boundary includes biogenic land-related emissions and removals from bioenergy feedstocks.
The Science Based Targets initiative
- The SBTi is a partnership between CDP, the United Nations Global Compact, World Resources Institute (WRI) and the World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF). The SBTi call to action is one of the We Mean Business Coalition commitments.
- The SBTi is the lead partner of the Business Ambition for 1.5°C campaign– an urgent call to action from a global coalition of UN agencies, business and industry leaders, mobilizing companies to set net-zero science-based targets in line with a 1.5°C future.
- Source: https://sciencebasedtargets.org/
Founded in 1940, Topsoe is a leading global developer and supplier of decarbonization technology, catalysts, and services for the energy transition.
Our mission is to combat climate change by helping our partners and customers achieve their decarbonization and emission-reduction targets, including those in sectors such as aviation, shipping, and the production of raw materials. From carbon reduction chemicals, to renewable fuels and plastic upcycling, we are uniquely positioned to aid humanity in realizing a sustainable future.
Topsoe is headquartered in Denmark, with over 2,100 employees serving customers all around the globe. To learn more, visit www.topsoe.com
For more information, please contact:
Ulrik Frøhlke, Media Relations Manager, Topsoe
Phone: +45 27 77 99 68