Give them what they want - for co-production within ammonia
Topsoe’s integrated methanol and ammonia process (IMAP™) gives you the flexibility you need to get ahead and stay there.
Imagine a plant that could deliver what the market wants most, whenever the market wants it. No more being locked into a single product, with its ups and downs. No more missing out on opportunities to meet needs outside your main product. And no more having to build two plants to make more than just ammonia or just methanol.
Equally suitable for revamp and grassroots projects and no matter whether you operate a dedicated ammonia plant, methanol plant or fertilizer complex, our co-production plant designs give you unprecedented agility, protection from market fluctuations and profit-making potential.
Topsoe’s IMAP™ (Integrated Methanol and Ammonia Production) technologies and Topsoe’s latest innovative syngas hub solution for large scale facilities, the cost effective SynCOR Plus™, enables the facility to produce multiple products without the prohibitive cost of installing and operating a second plant. Both technology concepts take advantage of the catalysts and technology used making single product facilities
The IMAP™ technology covers combined capacity of ammonia and methanol up to 3.200 MTPD and SynCOR Plus™ up to 10.000 MTPD. Both concepts also include the possibility to convert the ammonia into urea.
The power of one
A Topsoe co-production facility offers numerous advantages over two standalone plants, including:
- Shared reforming section
- Once-through methanol synthesis loop
- Lower unit cost for any capacity
- Well-proven process steps
- Any ammonia-methanol product split
- Shared utilities
- Staff requirements correspond to that of one
- 10–25% savings on capital expenditures
- Up to 4% savings on operating expenses
IMAP™ – three flexible co-production solutions
Choose the product mix and corresponding IMAP™ solution that makes most sense for your plant.
Our IMAP™ technology enables any facility to produce multiple products without the often prohibitive cost of installing and operating a second plant. Comprising three separate process designs – IMAP Ammonia+™, IMAP Methanol+™, and IMAP Urea+™ – our IMAP™ portfolio can add significantly to your bottom line by enabling you to meet multiple and changing market needs as they arise.
IMAP Ammonia+™ is an ammonia plant with an efficient add-on methanol section. The concept can be designed to produce up to 100 % ammonia and up to 35 % methanol or any combination in this range while observing a combined total production of 100%. It can be made for a grass root facility or as a revamp of an existing ammonia plant.
IMAP Methanol+™ is a very cost efficient co-production design producing 65-75% methanol and 25-35% ammonia. The actual product split is decided by the feed gas composition and the clients need.
IMAP Urea+™ is an ammonia plant with an efficient methanol section which can be designed for full flexibility between ammonia, urea and methanol. The main difference between IMAP Ammonia+™ and IMAP Urea+™ is use of enriched air as oxygen/nitrogen feed which provides the high product flexibility.
Additional revenue with product diversification
Multiple products offer flexibility toward price fluctuations.
As a plant owner, you’ll want to decide just how much flexibility you want right from the start, to make sure your investment costs are aligned with your needs. In addition to our three basic IMAP™ process designs, we can tailor an IMAP™ solution to meet the specifics of your business and technical needs. If you’re not sure which IMAP™ process design would best suit your plant, we are happy to conduct the feasibility studies you’ll need to make the right decision.
SynCOR Plus™ - Innovative syngas hub solution for large scale solutions
SynCOR Plus™ is a syngas hub concept where SynCOR™ is used as an efficient fully automated common syngas generator for downstream synthesis units, such as ammonia and methanol synthesis, which can be designed for any size up to a total of 10.000 MTPD for a single SynCOR™. The concept allows for full conversion of the ammonia into urea.
We offer a full range of process solutions, ranging from technology process licensing to revamps of existing units.
- Process licensingAugment your main ammonia business with on-demand methanol production IMAP Ammonia+™ design employs our “in-line” ammonia methanol concept, where methanol synthesis is a once-through process under high pressure for maximum conversion and efficiency. The design can also accommodate our flexible skid...
- Process licensingLet your methanol plant profit from serving ammonia on the side It features a streamlined layout with no shift or CO2 removal unit to minimize investment costs while still enabling co-production of ammonia and methanol. The methanol synthesis process is once-through at high pressure. The ammonia...
- Process licensingFor ultimate market agility, set your plant up to produce any mix of ammonia, methanol and urea IMAP Urea+™ is our most flexible IMAP™ process design, and will enable you to achieve unmatched agility with a single plant by adjusting the product split in response to changing market conditions...
- Process licensingSynCOR Plus™ is a syngas hub concept where SynCOR™ is used as an efficient fully automated common syngas generator for downstream synthesis units